Thursday, May 20, 2010

May 20 - Happy Birthday Jonathan!

Last Saturday, May 15, was Jonathan's second birthday. A couple weeks earlier, I told him that he had a birthday coming up and we'd have a party for him with cake and presents, but he was more interested in hearing who all would be at the party. I'd name all the family members I thought would likely make it, and his smile would grow bigger and bigger. Every day after that, he'd recite to us who all would be coming to his birthday party.

With thanks to my sister-in-law, Pam, for lending me her cake decorating set and letting me try out her great cake and frosting recipes, I made a fairly decent Blue's Clues birthday cake, if I do say so myself. And it survived untouched almost until we sang Happy Birthday. But, sure enough, our little guy got close enough to give it a little poke. (You'll notice the "a" in "Birthday" is a bit disfigured. That's rather minor, though.)


Jonathan was so interested in playing with all of his visitors, though, he didn't want to be interrupted to have cake and ice cream or open presents. I guess he has his priorities in order. Below you can see his somewhat listless expression of, "Ah, man, I'd rather be out running around ..." Thankfully, it was a beautiful day and he got to ride his trike and chase after his cousins to his heart's content after opening presents.


Happy birthday, Jonathan! We're so proud of the little man you're growing into. Soon enough, you'll be graduating and moving on to conquer the world, and we'll wonder what ever happened to the full-cheeked boy with darling dimples we used to rock to sleep. Until then, though, we'll cherish each day we get to give you great, big bear hugs and good-morning kisses, listen to you sing Miss Mary Mack and Take Me Out to the Ball Game, and play hide-and-seek with you in your ducky towel.

No comments:

Post a Comment