Monday, November 30, 2009

Saint Marys - Day 16

Garrett's echocardiogram this morning showed his heart still has more of a workload than normal (which we expect to be the case until additional arteries are embolized to reduce the blood flow sufficiently), but it's less than what it was before his second procedure. Dr. Eidem, Garrett's cardiologist this week, mentioned that the pressure in his heart is still a little high, but quite a bit lower than it was before the additional embolisms. Considering he was on two additional medications then, and three doses of Lasix, versus one dose now, that shows just how effective the second treatment was.

I still haven't completely figured out how to make sure he keeps his food down. Sometimes he'll throw up an hour after a feeding, even if I finished the feeding by trying to burp him for several minutes without even a hint of a burp escaping. One of the nurses suggested laying him on his right side afterward to help empty the stomach. I'll give that a shot and see what happens. I've also been holding him upright against my chest afterward, and that seems to help sometimes, but not every time.

It's been a few posts since I've included pictures (and I know grandparents in particular appreciate seeing them), so here are a few more.

Thanksgiving Dinner
Jean and Steve brought Jonathan out so we could have Thanksgiving dinner with him. We enjoyed the meal in Saint Marys' cafeteria. (I can't tell you how it pains me to put the apostrophe after the "s" in "Marys." I really wish the nuns had enough of an appreciation for proper grammar to follow it and let go of their angst over possessiveness when they named the hospital.) It was getting close to 7 p.m. and the cashier made sure we took several turkey-shaped cookies off their hands, since they would only be thrown away otherwise.



Garrett
Below are some pictures of Garrett from today. He just looks so peaceful when he's sleeping.



He definitely has the Rossing nose.


The hair on the back of Garrett's head is just a touch oily from the Skin So Soft (thanks, Jan!) I've been using to slowly work out the dried up glue gobs from his EEG over a week ago. I finally got the last of it out today.


Jonathan has Chris' wide hands, but Garrett has my long, slender fingers.

1 comment: