Thursday, December 3, 2009

First Days Home

Boy, does it feel good to be home! Oddly enough, our first night home is already a blur. The only thing that really stands out is that at one point while I was feeding Garrett, Jonathan told me, "Baby Garrett all done! Put away!" and Jonathan didn't go to sleep like normal either. Well, "normal" before Garrett came along involved Mom rocking him to sleep -- something I knew would have to change, but didn't try to hard to modify before his sibling arrived, since I figured he'd probably regress then anyway. While I was at Saint Marys with Garrett, however, Chris would just put him in his crib and he'd go to sleep on his own. Amazing!

With me being home again, however, he cried and called for me when Chris tried to put him down. So, my first night back, Chris ended up rocking him to sleep and putting him to bed. Last night, however, Jonathan fussed a little when Chris started rocking with him, but calmed down and Chris was able to put him down while he was still awake. So it looks like we'll be able to stick with the new routine they established for his bedtime.

Yesterday actually went better than I thought it would. Chris is working again now, so I had both boys to myself all day. Jean gracefully offered to help if I needed a hand, but things were going pretty smoothly when she called to check in in the morning. I woke up at 7:20 to both boys making noise. Jonathan was saying, "Baby brother! Baby Garrett!" I'd be surprised if he could hear Garrett, who was sleeping in a bassinet not far from our bed, but maybe he did.

So I picked up Garrett, headed downstairs and told Jonathan I'd be right in to get him after I changed Garrett's diaper. With Garrett freshened up, I set him in his crib (he'll eventually sleep in the same room as Jonathan, so we have his crib set up there now), took Jonathan to change his diaper, and then figured Jonathan could wait for breakfast while I fed Garrett.

That seemed to work all right yesterday, but this morning when I tried the same steps, Jonathan was insistent that he wanted "oran-juice" while Garrett ate. He wasn't happy about having to wait, and when I was ready to get his orange juice and breakfast, he fought sitting in his high chair. I thought Garrett could give me a few minutes to get Jonathan set before I burped him, but was wrong and he threw up.

While I was dealing with that, Wabasha Clinic called to move my follow-up appointment with Dr. Schwend from tomorrow to this morning at 9:30. I didn't want to wait until next week to get my stitches out (I hadn't thought about the possibility of stitches healing over until recently, and I think mine had started to -- d'oh), so I decided to scramble to get ready. Jean was a lifesaver and picked up Jonathan, but I still had trouble getting ready and out the door. I had to give Garrett his medicine, with one involving cutting three-quarters of a pill, crushing it and sucking it up into a syringe with water, which is more time-consuming than I'd like. (There's a liquid version of the medicine, but it's over 13 percent alcohol, so it's not ideal for babies.)

Jonathan wasn't appreciating the little attention he was getting in the mean time. "Mommy, come here! Baby Garrett all done now!" I think he was happy to go with Jean, where he'd get some undivided attention.

So this morning was pretty crazy. I feel a little cheated that we're not getting the week of family time we had planned on with Chris at home while we figure out our new routine, but that plan didn't include the Saint Marys experience, and I should probably just be thankful that Chris was able to take an additional week off while we dealt with that.

Jean will watch Jonathan tomorrow morning, too, so I can take Garrett in for his first appointment in Lake City. (I'm not sure what they'll do, other than take Garrett's weight and measure his head circumference.) And then the weekend will be here and Chris will be home to help dole out attention.

Hopefully the rest of this afternoon will go better as well, since I won't be rushing to get out the door. I feel bad telling Jonathan to wait all the time. Well, I guess it's not so much the telling him to wait as the fact that my tone starts to get pretty impatient -- especially when he's trying to push and pull at my legs while I'm changing Garrett's diaper and dealing with the noise from two unhappy little guys.

I don't want to be that frazzled, flustered mom, especially when I've been away for so long. I won't mind being the mom with unbrushed hair who's still in her pajamas at 2 p.m. and has a sink full of dishes waiting to be done, so long as that mom has a relatively peaceful house with boys who know they are loved.

5 comments:

  1. When we had our 2nd child, before we left the hospital a nurse tried to give us a way to relate to the perspective of the older sibling by suggesting we think if our spouse came home and said, "I love you as much as I always have, but I'm getting an additional spouse to come live with us." It might take us a little while to adjust.

    Once our younger one got to be 8-10 months old, they became a playmate for our older one and all was good (most of the time :)

    Glad to see you're home.

    Brian C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you started singing Mom's, "Be Patient" song? I was telling a child to, "Be PATIENT!" the other day and WHAMO! There was that song. I couldn't believe I remembered all the words. Now I can hear her in my head every time I start getting impatient again now. It's just as annoying as it was then LOL. :D

    Glad things are going well at home!

    Where are our pictures???

    *HUGS*
    Love you sis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I remember that song. :) That might actually work, since Jonathan loves singing right now.

    Yeah, I need add more pictures and video. It look pretty boring when it's just text after text after text posts. I'll try to get some over the weekend.

    Brian, I'm glad to hear they become good playmates. Suddenly 8-10 months seems like a really long time. It'll probably only get easier from here, though -- at least I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to hear the Garret is now home with you guys. The little body has endured a lot in a very small time. I wish him the best for the rest of his long and pleasent life.

    -Maqbool

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mindi-So glad to hear Garrett (and you) are home again! Give yourself a little time to adjust to the changes. It is a lot of work trying to take care of two little ones! The days are sometimes long, but the time that they are little is so short. It will get easier and I know that you are a great mom! I hope we can visit you all sometime soon! ~Tracy

    ReplyDelete