Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Dec. 15 - "Held"

The morning after Garrett passed away, I pulled up a sermon that I'd heard before from Greg Boyd, senior pastor of Woodland Hills Church. I've been following Boyd's podcast for a while now -- although I fell pretty far behind while on maternity leave with Jonathan. When I started catching up again, I heard this Held sermon, and it made me cry then, even before I had this degree of personal experience to tie to it. So Chris and I watched it over breakfast, and although our grief was still bitterly fresh, it was a salve on our wounds. 

This really gets at how I'm able to cope right now. I'm not asking why this happened. There is no why.

I was going to wait to share the sermon until I could wrap it in more of our context, but after talking with my stepmom this morning, who's having a tough day with it really sinking in that her grandson is gone, I thought I better just put the links out there and hope other people can find some comfort in the message, too. It's about 40 minutes long, but well worth the listen.

Audio - 4.77 mb
High-Quality Audio - 18.8 mb
QuickTime Video (mp4) - 123.2 mb
Windows Media Video (wmv) - 74.4 mb

3 comments:

  1. Klein family,
    I was made aware of sweet little Garrett through a prayer chain. I am reminded of how seasons change as do seasons of our lives. The season of the past year for your family must have been filled with joy and excited anticipation for such a precious gift as Garrett. I am so honored to be able to go to my Heavenly Father in behalf of you and this sweet angel who now rests in his Creators arms to ask for peace and guidence as you try to find solice in this knowledge and heal from the deep pain you must be feeling. Just know I along with many other people who may never have the opportunity to meet you will continue to lift you, as we did Garrett up in prayer and ask for God's comfort and to make Himself known to you in a real and tangible way in the coming days of the holiday season and continue in the months ahead. Thank you so very much for sharing Garretts story with complete strangers so we can also love him from afar. May God bless and kee you and may you find peace. with love and compassion, a friend in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I am so grateful for a decent Internet connection at work tonight so I could watch this on my phone. Thank you for sharing. I look forward to hearing more from you on this topic someday, you do such a great job of writing.

    This sermon is so right on. I've appreciated what little I could grasp of Boyd's beliefs regarding the problem of evil/pain/suffering, but I'd never heard him speak to it so clearly. "God's will isn't the only will that affects our lives" "God has never needed evil to accomplish his good purposes." I'm glad to have these philosophies clarified in a way that makes such sense and that I can use to share with others as well.
    Love you lots,
    Shelli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mindi, my heart is breaking for you and your family! It was two years ago this week that we lost our granddaughter Maddie, while we were all working in the Oz 6 pod; I think you were expecting your first child, or maybe he had just been born. You're right, there is no "why," only "what now?" As hard as we struggle to understand and make sense of it, we will just never be wise enough to run the universe ourselves, even though at times like this we want to take control and somehow make things come out different. You have a long, difficult road ahead, but you've made an important first step by recognizing that the unanswerable "why" question only leads to more pain. Instead, the support of family and the love of God helps us to see "how" we can survive the loss and find a new reality.

    Thank you for sharing Garrett's story, and your very honest feelings. You are touching many people who have struggled with the same issues. I'm looking forward to listening to Greg Boyd's sermon over the weekend.

    Joan Gorden

    ReplyDelete