Monday, December 28, 2009

Dec. 28 - Till We Have Faces

One of my favorite books is C.S. Lewis's Till We Have Faces, which is a modified version of the myth of Cupid and Psyche. Unlike the traditional mythological story, however, the protagonist here is Psyche's sister, Orual, who is terribly ugly and eventually begins wearing a veil to hide her face.

Orual loves Psyche as if she were her own child, and when the gods destroy their relationship and send Psyche into exile, Orual essentially shakes her fists at them and demands some answers. But the gods don't answer, and Orual concludes that they are mean, tortuous beings. As she nears the end of her life, she documents her story so it can live on and readers can judge for themselves whether the gods are just.

Some time after completing her story, Orual has a vision in which she is given the opportunity to make her accusations against the gods. She has her manuscript with her and reads it over and over again before them, until she is interrupted -- at which point she begins to understand, among other things, that stating her objections was itself the answer. And here's the part that still gives me goosebumps:
The complaint was the answer. To have heard myself making it was to be answered. Lightly men talk of saying what they mean. Often when he was teaching me to write in Greek the Fox would say, "Child, to say the very thing you really mean, the whole of it, nothing more or less or other than what you really mean; that's the whole art and joy of words." A glib saying.

When the time comes to you at which you will be forced at last to utter the speech which has lain at the center of your soul for years, which you have, all that time, idiot-like, been saying over and over, you'll not talk about the joy of words. I saw well why the gods do not speak to us openly, nor let us answer. Till that word can be dug out of us, why should they hear the babble that we think we mean? How can they meet us face to face till we have faces?
Why, indeed, should they hear the babble we think we mean? But also, why is it sometimes so difficult to know what we really do mean?

Like Orual reading her life's story, I find myself reading my own blog posts again and again ... and again and again and again. I'm not really sure why. I don't feel a complaint against God building up. Maybe it just helps in trying to get past my own babble (which is probably all that comes out when I talk to people) to uncover what's stewing at the center of my soul.

I don't know whether anyone is still checking this blog, since it began as a way to provide updates about Garrett's VOGM treatment, and that story has now sadly ended, but I'm finding it's still useful for sorting out my own thoughts in the wake of his death. I just feel a need to write everything down -- fill in the blanks from his last day here, record random thoughts and memories, try to determine what I really make of all this. And while that focus on Garrett's life is therapeutic, so is including other day-to-day observations, like Jonathan thinking the word "Acapulco" is hysterical, or appreciating how Chris consistently makes better scrambled eggs than I do.

There is still life after death. Now I'm just trying to figure it out.

7 comments:

  1. Keep writing, this is your balm. Each time I check in I find a little more peace in your words. You are also helping others understand and heal. I find that in all things the gift was worth more than the sacrafice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our hearts and prayers go out to you and your family. God speed in your own healing of your hearts. As the previous author wrote, you find healing anyway that suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just came accross your blog. I'm praying for you. You seem like such a wonderful family. Please know that there are a lot of people out there who really care about you...even though they don't even know you :)
    My prayers are for peace and healing for you in the New Year.
    Garrett was a beautiful baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your story. I am sure some sort of comfort comes from that. I just heard of your loss today and couldn't stop the tears as I read your posts. I worked in Labor and Delivery at Methodist for many years and have seen the pain of parents who have lost a child. Life is not fair. I am so glad you got to enjoy the gift of Garrett for the short time you did. There are no answers to your many questions. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you figure out how to live life without Garrett.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mindi-
    I check often to see if you have added to your posts. You write so wonderfully. I am truly amazed not only by your intelligence, but also your wisdom. Reading helps me to understand your grief process and also know that you are OK even at difficult times. I have no doubt that it is helpful for you, so for that reason alone, keep writing. Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mindi, I check your blog often. I am amazed at the depth of your writing. We all hate our loved ones going through the pain, but I am so thankful that you and Chris have Jonathan..Dick just saw him for that short time this Summer, but he mentions him often. What a sweetie..Can hardly wait to see him again! Love you Gramma June

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mindi,

    Like Orual loving Psyche, I love you dearly. I know that when my mom died it was bittersweet and so I starting writing to her. It wasn't until months later that what was at the heart of it came through and the healing started.

    Sunday was Heaven Sunday at church. We remember those passing on. I had a terrible breakdown in church. But once I wiped my eyes, strangely, I felt a calm, a peace even and although he's gone, like mom, they're not forgotten. Halleulia.

    ReplyDelete