Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Dec. 16

Yesterday was Chris' birthday. I wasn't sure whether I should say "happy birthday," so I just pointed out, "It's your birthday today," and he nodded in acknowledgment. It's odd going through the mail and finding sympathy cards mixed in with holiday and birthday cards.

The last of Garrett's clothes have now made it through the wash: a onesie that said "Feed me or nobody sleeps," which really wasn't true to his quiet nature; another that read "I love hugs," which was more accurate; and a blue and white striped sleeper with "Daddy's little helper" in red letters around a blue tow truck. I didn't cry over handling them this time, but caressed the fabric once more as I put the pieces away ... Well, as I put the them in a bag in the crib we still need to take down. We haven't really figured out where "away" is yet.

Memories of Garrett still pop up in other unexpected places. We made French toast this morning, and as I measured out a quarter teaspoon of vanilla, I thought about how many times that particular spoon had been used in the last week of Garrett's life. He had done so well with his formula-fortified bottles in the end. At times, he'd finish two ounces and still want more. Everything seemed to be indicating he was getting better ...

Yesterday we dropped off Jonathan at Jean's to run some errands in Rochester, and as we drove to her house, I reclined my seat to a more natural angle. For a split second I wondered why it was so erect in the first place, and I then remembered it had been to avoid hitting Garrett's seat behind it. And when we stopped to fuel up at Kwik Trip on the south side of Lake City, I realized the last time we filled the van was at the same station the morning of Garrett's follow-up appointments. At the time, I had thought again how nice it was to travel with a baby who was so content to ride in the car seat.

One of the items on the to-do list yesterday was for me to get my hair cut. I'd been letting it grow extra long so I could lop off ten inches for Locks of Love and still have enough left to twirl into a quick bun without needing clips or pins to keep it in place. I thought about cutting it before Garrett was born, but remembered that the last time I donated to Locks of Love, I wound up with shorter hair than I expected and I didn't want to risk having inadequate length when I'd be hurrying to his bassinet to feed him in the middle of the night. Sure, there are other low-maintenance alternatives, but I didn't want my hair down when nursing and I didn't want to depend on hair binders or other devices to keep it out of my face (because I'd probably forget them on the bathroom counter), so I just kept the messy-bun option.

Now that I won't be getting up with Garrett multiple times a night, or worrying about little hands getting tangled in a ponytail, it doesn't really matter. It turns out there actually wasn't enough left to tie into a bun this time either. Oh well.

It's anyone's guess as to how I'll react when faced with these surprise memories. They might be met with a simple huh. I know it should hurt -- like the brief moment when you see your own palm graze the edge of a hot frying pan and you know you'll wind up with a burn, but the pain signal hasn't made it to your brain yet. Or maybe the burn has already done its damage, because there's just that numbness ... some of the time. Other times, I'll be listening to a song or thinking about some events at the hospital and expect that same numbness, since I've heard those same lyrics or relived those given hours numerous times already. And yet that's when the beast of grief awakens and tears into my heart again.

I don't know what the coming days will be like. I seem to do pretty well when I'm around other people, so maybe I'll hold up all right through the visitation and service. Then again, that's not the case if the other people are emotional, so probably not.

6 comments:

  1. Mindi,

    You amaze me with you ability to share your feelings and emotions in writing. When I read your blog, I feel as if I am right there with you. Other people have told me the same thing.

    I want to thank you for blogging your experience. It makes the connection stronger and easier to provide emotional and prayer support.

    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mindi and Chris
    Only you and Chris know the real pain associated with this situation. You and Chris must walk through this but you must know that you are being HELD up by loving arms and that many people are walking with you and Chris every step of the way.

    Love,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mindi, you are all in our thoughts and prayers.

    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mindi, I fear and welcome tomorrow. I think that I have been going through this side by side with you, though I think that would offer you no comfort. I think about losing one of the boys and what that would be like. Then I just put myself in your shoes, in your clothes, in your house. I read what you are feeling and I feel like I am right there foldind the onsies, and making the french toast and I cry. I went today to finish up my Christmas shopping for you all. I cried all the way there as I listened to Gods Speed, by the Dixie Chicks. I already had so many things for that little man. Then as I re-read some of the older post I hoped and prayed that one day you would know what to do with that crib, that double stroller. I finally understood at least for me what Garrett life's meant in my life. If I can share?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Part II
    If God's plan was to take him, why wasn't it just done? Then it came to me. First he wanted you, Chris, and Jonathan to know how strong, and how willing to sacrifice your family is. God wanted you to know how much your family loved you. Look at you and me. We can honestly say we have never been really close, but since Garrett's birth, actually, since I had been waiting for his arrival I had never felt so close to you, so much love so you. Each day I could not wait to hear how much better he was doing and I could not wait to see he him. The weeks before he passed had been extremely rough in our house. The boys were being extremly difficult, acting out, fighting. Everyday was a battle. Just putting jackets on was a 30 minute process. I had been complaining nonstop. What the heck. What was wrong with the kids. Who stole, my sons? When Meagan called that Friday, Mom was on the phone with you. I sat in shock. The next day I sobbed all the way to Christmas at the folks. When we got there, Bennie had a transformation. He became a Koala bear. He would not leave my side. He wanted to be held, and kissed and hugged. When I walked in and saw Martin I broke down. I told him I was sorry. I was so sorry. I had never felt so guilty for having children in my life. Here I had spent the last 2 weeks complaining about badly behaving kids, and my sister, had been hanging on to every last hope to see a tantrum, an outburst, a "You mean Mommy". I felt like the most ungrateful, jerk that had ever walked the earth, and have been praying for forgiveness ever since. I know that you and Chris will again be blessed with another wonderful bundle from God. I know that it will never fill the void left from Garrett's premature departure, and there is no one in this family that will every forget that beautiful, gorgeous, baby boy, the graced us with his presence for 29 days. The regret I feel is that Meagan and I did not act on our instinct to ask you to come on Thanksgiving to visit. At least I could have held him and kissed him, as a few of you got the chance to do. Mindi, you are a wonderful, gracious, strong, beautiful mother and woman. I can only hope that at night when you are sad and you are missing him, that you and close your eyes and know that he is still there with you. Looking down on you, watching over you, guiding you, and as any child wants for his mommy, wanting you to be happy. HE WANTS that for you. God has him now, he is pain free, he is healthy, and he get to be with our Lord and Savior. I cannot wait to be with him in eternity. You have done a wonderful job showing the rest of us what mommies are supposed to me like. I only hope that when I see you tomorrow. I can provide you with some comfort, some peace, so hope for tomorrow, that it will get better, that the pain, the intensity of the pain with time will fade and I can say that Garrett Michael has taught me a powerful lesson with his life. I know now, that I was taking my life, my children, my family, and my blessing for granted. I will not longer do that, and I have Garrett to thank for that.
    I hope that my rambling made sense and wasn't stupid. I cannot wait to see you tomorrow. I want to hug you so badly I cannot see straight.

    I love you Mindi, remember, it's ok to cry whenever you want, as long as you want, and as long as you want.

    Love
    Carrie Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mindi,
    I am in the bible study class that your dad & Barbara are in. We have been praying for your family throughout your pregnancy, delivery, and sadly, this occasion. Through the Body of Christ, there are so many prayers being sent your way as you spend this day in Garrett's memory. As I write this, you are at the memorial service and I have been praying for peace for you, Chris and family/friends. I know there are things we will never be able to understand until in the presence of God but may you find comfort in the love of family and friends.
    After reading your last entry, I really wanted to comment on how well you write. You have a gift with the written word! I hope you will keep these entries in order to strengthen you in the future as you reflect back on those days. They may also be a comfort to others who may be going through a similar trial.

    Counting on Him for all things...
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete